Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Part 2 Opener: Starting Over




"Nate!" she ran up to him as fast as she was able. "Please tell me you didn't sign up!"

Nathaniel turned around and gazed upon the woman he loved as she ran up to him with her skirts flowing out behind her.

She's not going to be happy he thought as she flew into his arms.

Before he had to tell her the bad news, he possessed her lips with his. That way the talking could be put off for just a little while longer. He didn't want to tell her what she didn't want to hear. It would kill him to leave her, but everyone was going. He couldn't allow himself to stay behind when his friends and budding country needed him.

"You did, didn't you?" she suddenly pulled back and fought to break free from his embrace.

"Helen, calm down. It's not as bad as it seems." he said, trying in vain to reassure her. He refused to let her escape his arms.

She balled her hands into fists and beat him on his chest. "No, I will not calm down! How could you!?"

"It's not going to last that long anyway, and before you know it, I'll be back." He held her tightly to him, "I have to do this, Helen. It's going to kill me to leave you, but I have to do this."

Her tear-stained face looked up at him as she said, "No, you don't! You can just stay at home and stay alive."

He chuckled at her as he wiped away the tears. "I'm not going to die. I'll be in the back almost all the time. Stop thinking like that."

She continually shook her head the entire time he'd tried to comfort her. "Don't leave me, Nathaniel, please!" she choked out a sob.

"I promise you. I promise I'll come back. Do you think I could stand to be parted from you forever?"

She let out a huff of a sigh and pressed her cheek to his chest. He tenderly cradled her to him, running his hand up and down her back, trying to comfort her.

He breathed in and said, "I love you, Helen."


The dream shifted. Before him stood Helen again, but she was nearly transparent, like a ghost.

"Helen?" Nate asked.

"Yes, Nate."

"What happened? Where are we?" he asked, looking around. They appeared to be in a nondescript place of some sort. It almost looked like a room, but the walls continually shifted and moved like they couldn't decide what they were made of.

"You're dreaming." Helen answered.

"I am?" He looked around in more confusion before he decided to just forget it and enjoy being with her, even if only in a dream. "You were mad at me. I'm so sorry. I wish I'd never gone to fight that damn war!"

Helen smiled kindly. Nathaniel wished he could embrace her, but he knew if he tried his arms would only go through her.

"I miss you, Helen. I never wanted to leave you like that. Not forever. I wish we could start again."

"We can. We are. I'm still with you." As she spoke, her ghostly form took on a more solid appearance.

Happily, he ran up to her and threw his arms around her waist. She held him tightly to her in return.

He pulled back to look down at her and was startled by what he saw. It wasn't Helen's brown eyes that smiled back at him, but Gabriella's blue ones.


"I missed you." she said and shrugged in simple explanation.




Nathaniel awoke with a start. Where am I? He looked around and realized he was in Gabby's room. The early morning light glinted off her pale hair as she lightly stirred against him. They'd stayed awake for hours the previous night making up for missed opportunities and had worked their way up to Gabby's room. Exhausted, they'd both fallen asleep.

I had the strangest dream! Something about Helen. Oh yeah, how she begged me not to go and fight. What scared me about the dream to make me wake up like that? Nathaniel struggled to remember, but the harder he tried, the more elusive the dream became.

Gabriella stirred again, and this time she awoke. She lifted her head in mild surprise. Then she smiled down at Nate when she saw it was him.

The smile... Damn it! Why can't I remember?

"Good morning." she said dreamily.

"Good morning." he returned and kissed her forehead. "Are you ready to put my plan into action?"

"Only if you're there to help." she answered with a yawn. She sat up and swung her legs off the side.

"Where are you going?" he asked as he sat up further.

"I need a shower." she offered as an explanation.

"Don't go yet." he said as his subconscious screamed at him to remember the dream, but the recall of it thinned out and vanished like smoke as he became fully focused on Gabriella's mouth.

-------------------------------------------

Helen's lovely fashion can be found here at All About Style.

12 comments:

  1. I can def tell you had loads of fun with the shots and the editing, the result was just exquisite. I loved, loved, loved, the dream sequence and the recollection of his past, i loved the clothing too and the setting, it was just incredible!

    He and Helena seem to have had something very special, and I have a feeling his drream has a lot to do with Gabby. How old is Nate again, and when did Helen die? I wonder if Gabby could be her reincarnation. They certainly have similar coloring, and at a quick glance, they could pass for sisters. OMG, that would just be incredible if she was a reincarnation.

    I'm so excited for this, I can't wait to see how the dream ties in with his current predicament.

    Awesome start to Part 2! If you see lots of spelling mistakes, ignorr them, I'm typing on the iPad and my fingers are too fat to hit the right keys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just about nearly drove myself insane trying to do the editing right. I'm still not completely satisfied with "ghost Helen", but I'm rather hard on myself. I loved that lot for the sequence! The only problem was the Twinbrook stuff like the hospital and the metal bridges, some of which I edited out (and then didn't use the pic).

      He and Helen were engaged. Unlike many other couples, they decided to wait until after the war to get married. When she thought he was dead, she married someone that was new in town, but never stopped thinking about Nate. If only she'd known he'd check up on her from time to time, watching from the shadows. She died in the 1880s in childbirth.

      The dream left some nice hints about Helen and Gabriella. Sometimes I think I should sleep more. My dreams give me the best ideas!

      I'm SO GLAD you loved it! and I'm jealous... I wish I had an iPad lol. Then I could read anywhere.

      Don't worry about the 'novel' like you mentioned in fb. That just meant I could type out a really long answer, something that I have to stop myself from doing at times! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting Chapter. I'm guessing Gabby is a reincarnation of Helen.

    Georgeous screenies by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting theory you have there, jb... :D

      Thanks! and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures. That first one of Nathaniel with the wide open eyes really startled me. *L* I hope he can remember, maybe it will have some affect on the visions Gabriella has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment!

      Nathaniel is in one of the labor poses - woman lying on bed in pain - I think it's called. lol. I like the expression.

      Something could happen to jar his memory, but that remains to be seen. Dreams are irritating like that.

      Gabriella had a dream too...

      Thank you for commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. You know I also thought that maybe Gabby is a reincarnation!?! It's a thought that passed my mind after reading this chapter! The pictures look great!

    My favorite is this one... http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/egmomma/6%20A/Screenshot-55-1.jpg

    Definitely that one. It was a really good start to part two of this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her being a reincarnation of Helen is certainly possible!

      Thanks! and Yes... I love ss55 so much I used it as a 'bump' to the forum thread as a teaser lol.

      Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. His dream was beautiful! Helen must be the responsible for the connection between Gabby and Nate. Maybe Gabby is Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore those pics.

      Interesting theory.... :-)

      Delete
  6. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!! She IS Helena reincarnated. Yeah Baby!!!

    I hope their plan works...oh wait, I can find out! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. This is still one of my favorite chapters.
      Yep, go right ahead and find out!

      Delete

Thank you for reading! Now, tell me what you thought. I'd love to know. Anything you particularly liked/disliked? Anything you'd like to see happen?