Wednesday, July 25, 2012

30: Looking Glass


adult language


What do I do now? Gabriella floundered as she leaned against the barn wall. He said I could go. Do I want to go? I never expected him to say I could leave. 

In a daze, she walked over and picked up her suitcase. She dusted it off and put it in her car. She dumbly walked back into the house to get her magical tome.

She picked up the book and held it to her chest. Her mother had wanted to steal it. Gus probably told her to do it.

As she grabbed the last of the things she wanted to take, she asked herself, Do I want to leave? Where will I go? I can't stay at a hotel forever. I really liked my little house. It was close to town. I could walk almost anywhere. Then Nate has to go and ruin that!

Whatever. I'm leaving.

She headed out to her old car, Lucille. She didn't see Nate, but she knew he was in the stables. She guessed Reggie was getting an earful about her.

Nate had finished grooming Reggie when he heard Gabby's hunk of junk start up. She's really leaving. What am I gonna do?

 He slammed his head into the barn's wall, heartbroken, as he heard her drive away.

He numbly walked into the the house. It felt so empty without her. I've lived alone for decades. I actually used to enjoy living alone.

He stomped up to Gabby's room in a wordless haze. He could still smell her. She just has to come back. She just has to, he thought as he landed face down on her bed, his face pressed into her pillow.

Gabby parked her car at the local motel to rent a room. In the motel office's window she saw an advertisement for a traveling fair. It would arrive in a week. Well, I know where I'll be in a week's time. And Nate will be with me.

She opened the door and walked into her room. It smelled faintly of cigarette smoke and stale beer. Well, what should I expect? Cheap rate, cheap looking room.

She went and stared at herself in the mirror.

What are you doing?
I'm escaping Nate. He was practically holding me hostage.
So what? He was only worried about you.
He was trying to seduce me at every turn. Any time I did something nice. Well, any time the mood struck him.

Come off it, Gabriella. You know you wore that dress on purpose. You knew he'd react like that. In fact, you wanted him to. Why are you angry he did what you wanted?
Because he did more than I expected.
Oh really?

Okay, he did exactly what I expected. Then I had to go and be a bitch and eat that garlic when I knew he wouldn't like it.
Then of course he avoided you. Why are you sad because of that?
I wasn't sad so much as angry. He ... alright so I missed him which made me sad.
So you moved out ... because you missed him?
I moved out because I was tired of being a prisoner!

You were the only one that thought of yourself as a prisoner.
......
Oh.... and to prove that point, he let you go. You know he's hurting right now, and it's all your fault. He fucking loves you and you love him yet you have a funny way of showing it! He has to fucking seduce you because that's the only way he could get any inkling that you loved him! Yes, he wants you. That's normal!
....

So, you have to decide. Do you want him to ignore you or are you going to allow yourself to love him?
I don't want him to ignore me. I didn't like that at all.
So... that leaves you with...

I'm afraid.
Of what?
I'm afraid of being in love. Look what it did to my father.
....
How do I know Nate isn't going to hurt me?

You have to trust him. Plus... girl, are you forgetting you're psychic?
Daddy was psychic too, apparently. That didn't stop Mom.
Nate isn't your mother.
....

You can trust him.


"I want to take a nap." she said to the empty room. Then she shook her head, berating herself for talking to herself like a crazy person before she pulled off the bed's comforter to sleep on the somewhat-cleaner sheets.




-----------------------------------------------

I've always wanted to use the face-down pose. :)

14 comments:

  1. Well, I hope Gabby is seeing things a little more clearly now that she's had some time on her own.
    And I'm curious about what went on with her parents that t made her so afraid to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah hopefully this time on her own will help her put things into perspective.
      What happened with her parents.. I was referring back to Gabriella's sister, Caitlin. She had a different father because Marge had an affair. Gabriella remembers how that affected her father when she was a child. She's had trust issues ever since.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Gabby shouldn't feel bad about talking to herself. I do it all the time. But I do hope that conversation she had with herself didn't add on to her confusion. Sometimes overthinking things is not good. And she's been doing a lot of that lately.

    Hopefully their time at the fair brings them closer.

    Poor Nate, pining for her. But yeah, he should give her time to think about her actions. That's what I do to DD when she's naughty, send her to the corner and let her think about her actions. And it's amazing what silence does to a person.

    Loved the mental image of a seedy hotel you invoked with your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talk to myself all the time too! That's what made it so easy to write. :) Yes, hopefully the 'talk' she had was beneficial and not going to set her even further back. Gabby? Over think things? lol

      I'm SO looking forward to the carnival/fair chapter! That one is going to be fun to shoot.

      Nate couldn't help but think of the 'if you love something, set it free...' thing.
      Your DD gets silent? Silence? What's that? hehe

      Thanks for the compliment! And thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Very illuminating internal battle. She realises and still hesitates. Gabriella, wake up, you dolt! haha... The face down pose was quite appropriate :) Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she really needed that internal battle to wake herself up! (you dolt haha!) That should help the two of them to stop from going in circles continuously. I was happy to finally have an opportunity to use that pose. I remember what feels like ages ago when I first saw it how it cracked me up! You posers are amazing people. :)

      Thanks! And thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Stubbron, stubbron Gabby. Will she ever learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Let's hope she does for both their sakes!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Very nice story and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's talking to herself! Looks like she finally realized the key to solving all of your problems...talking to yourself.

    Also though that Nate giving her some space to herself seemed to work out, although Gabby does seem to be a bit confused as to what she wants, maybe this makes it a bit more clearer for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Yes, talking to yourself always does help! Hopefully she's worked herself through her problems and can move forward now.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. ~ I am amazed that she did leave with Gus ready to swoop at the first time she is unprotected by Nate!
    ~ She should have left the magic book were it was safest! In Nate's house!
    ~ Loved it,I am sure they will get it together!
    ~ More when you can! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~She didn't think that through about Gus, did she? Not smart, Gabby! Hopefully Marge can keep Gus distracted before he can catch on that they're separated from each other.
      ~I'm not positive the book would be safest at Nate's. Her leaving might have made it so that wasn't her home thereby the magic that kept Gus out no longer would work.
      ~Glad you loved it! There's nothing like seeing in her vision that they're going to get back together in a week. Too bad Nate hasn't seen the poster and doesn't have that reassurance.
      ~More next week sometime, this next chapter is tricky.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Thank you for reading! Now, tell me what you thought. I'd love to know. Anything you particularly liked/disliked? Anything you'd like to see happen?