Warning: Adult language
Gabriella groaned as the alarm went off at seven. She'd even set it to go off an hour later than normal, it usually went off at six, but still she was so tired she felt she could barely function. She got up and stumbled over to her dresser to decide what on earth she was going to wear today.
Nate never came by last night. He must really be mad at me. Oh, what am I going to do?
She walked herself to work. She only lived a block away from city hall. On the way there, her mind continued to run over the fight last night - what she could remember of it that is. Everything felt foggy this morning, making it hard to recall details.
Maybe he just needs some time to cool off. Maybe he'll be willing to talk tonight. I still don't think I can bring myself to go by that house again, though, so I hope he'll be willing to come to my place.
I wonder what Mr. Knight has planned for me today.
Her boss had charged her with planning a fundraiser dinner a few weeks ago at the nearby community center for this Friday. She'd spent the entire day arguing with the caterers. She'd begged Mr. Knight to pick different ones than last time, but his sister-in-law owned the catering company, making that not an option after all.
They had an uphill battle this year to win the election. Mr. Knight was recently divorced after his ex-wife had an affair with the sheriff. That made the local news for weeks, and unfortunately, it remained fresh in the townspeople's memory. At least the mayor could play the part of the victim and not the transgressor. Of course, their opposition blamed Mr. Knight's lack of providing a loving home environment for his ex as the reason behind the affair.
Poor Mr. Knight Gabriella thought as she went over recent events in her mind. He really needs to find someone. Celia was all wrong for him anyway. It also doesn't help he's such a workaholic. Maybe if he just got out more. ... and got the hint that I'm not interested. I hope I'm imagining all that.
Gabriella suddenly didn't feel like going home. She didn't want to sit in that empty house. Her sister was released from the hospital today, but she told her she was planning on sleeping the rest of the day so that was out.
She ended up going home to get in her car to come to the little beach next to the lake near town. The place was deserted. That was perfect for her and her mood. She walked down the little wooded deck, ignoring the lounge chairs, and leaned on the old deck railing.
She knew there was no point in trying to reach Nathaniel now. He could still be sleeping for all she knew. Besides, if he really wanted to know, he could tell where she was. Once again she wondered what it was he "saw" when Gus had said he had seen through her eyes. The two of them had suspiciously kept silent about that, like she asked them to, but if it was something not to worry about wouldn't they have told her immediately?
Gus had mentioned that the harder he tried to block her by overworking his mind, the more he heard, felt, saw, and that he needed to clear his mind.
What if Nathaniel figured out how to block me out?
Nathaniel groaned and rolled over to look at his alarm clock. Five-thirty in the afternoon. Crap! Reggie and Desi are going to be pissed! I haven't been this tired in a long time. And...
No way. I have a... headache? What the hell? Since when do I get headaches?
Damn, my head is killing me.
He stumbled out of bed and went to go feed and care for his horses. He didn't see the point in changing clothes yet.
He quickly fed and watered the pair of them. After Reggie had eaten, he brought him out to brush him. Desi normally took a long time to eat. She would ponder each bite she took like she knew Nate was waiting for her to finish so he could do the other things that needed doing. Lately, though, Nate was content spending that extra time with Reggie.
"A vampire with a headache! This is bizarre! And it's not like I could take anything for it either." Nate chatted to his horse. Reggie stamped his hoof to get an annoying fly off of him. The sound reverberated in Nate's skull.
"Why do I have one?" Nate mused aloud. He'd meant to ask August if he could explain it, but the man was mysteriously missing.
Is this the thanks I get for being able to block her? he thought to himself, not even allowing himself to think her name. Is this the price I have to pay to get her out of my 'more powerful mind' as Gus calls it? Haha. Gus.
Ugh, don't think about her!
His mind jumped from one idea to the next as he went and got Reggie and apple and suddenly wondered if the first vampire was male or female. It made him think back to the story of Adam and Eve. Eve was the first to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil which people liked to depict as an apple. Vampires were inherently evil by nature. He hated this about himself.
"And yet, you're going to do the same thing to me." her words echoed in his head.
Nathaniel choked back an unwelcome emotion as he hugged Reggie and thought, So who am I? The serpent? How could I do that to someone I love?
Reggie seemed to understand his master's need for affection as he rubbed the side of his face against Nate's head.
My head is killing me! I was fine when I went to sleep last night, what gives? He remembered when he'd rolled over earlier this morning, hearing Gabby in his head, and he immediately blocked her out again before falling back asleep. Will the headache go away if I unblock her?
Nate took a deep breath and tried. She's at the beach by the lake, thinking about the pretty water. He felt himself relax, and the pain in his head started to ebb.
Oh, this is not good. The headache is directly related to whether or not I've blocked her out.
What am I going to do about Mr. Knight? Gabriella mused. Why can't he just take a hint? He's not done anything really obvious, it's just a vibe I'm getting. Maybe I'm wrong. Damn it, you're my effing boss and you're running for re-election. Have you lost your mind?
Maybe he has. He and Celia were married for ten years.
Gabriella sighed almost hopelessly as she stared at the water. She thought the setting sun reflected on the surface of the lake looked pretty as it made red and golden sparkles across the surface. Staring at the water distracted her from thinking of her boss and brought her thoughts back around to Nathaniel.
So, he's really mad at me. I don't blame him. I wonder if he'll come by tonight. Why am I positive he won't?
Well, I'm not going there. Not with Gus in residence.
She laughed quietly to herself. I nicknamed a two thousand year old vampire 'Gus'. Cheeky, cheeky Gabby.
Well, he did scare the crap outta me when he almost slithered over to shake my hand. I guess that was some coping mechanism going to work there.
I should've listened to my instincts and never been alone with him.
The smile dropped off of her face completely at her next thought. I will never be alone with him again. Especially not in the woods. How in hell are we going to end up in the woods? And Nathaniel arrives too late.
No, Gabby, don't think about it! she thought as panic seized her. She shook a little and rubbed her arms as she made her way back to her car, no longer enjoying being outside and alone with the sun setting.
Nathaniel was back to hearing Gabriella, but trying his best to just treat it as background noise.
"Alright, Desi. Are we going to behave today?" he asked the mare.
Her whole body language seemed to speak back to him, Well, I don't know 'master'. Are you going to brush me the wrong way again?
"You have to give me a chance to get to know you, Desi. You can't try to bite me every time I happen to brush you in a way you don't like. All you have to do is tell me." Nate couldn't understand why Desi refused to communicate in thought words like Reggie did. He knew she was refusing on purpose. Stubborn females he thought as he carefully worked over Desi's coat.
"I wonder if he'll come by tonight." Nathaniel could hear Gabby.
No, I'm not going to, you're right. You asked me to leave you alone, so I am. Good. Don't come here. We'd just end up fighting anyway. Even if Gus's presence is a moot point since he's not here.
Why does blocking her out have to give me a headache?
"Alright, Desi. I'm going to clean your hooves. You need to let me do this today since you haven't let me for a while." he said as the mare turned and looked at him defiantly. He walked up to her right front foreleg and proceeded to lean into her shoulder.
With amazing agility, Desi sidestepped and turned to where she faced Nathaniel. She made a very unfriendly noise and bared her teeth at him, thinking a resounding NO.
Nathaniel seriously considered baring his fangs right back at her. It would serve her right. However, the last thing he wanted was to terrify the horse. He knew Desi sensed there was something 'off' about him but couldn't figure out what. He knew Reggie knew this too, but Reggie didn't worry about it. Reggie would love him no matter what.
"Desi, you're being ridiculous. You need to let me do this. I'm trying to help you." he said before Desi thought over a picture of her in her mind, cleaning her hooves on a rock. "No," he answered the thought, "you'll split a hoof." he said patiently, yet with some irritation as well.
Reggie made an attempt at getting Desi to calm down. She completely ignored him.
Wrong. You're wrong. Desi now thought very clearly to him, and he knew which 'wrong' she meant. She meant what he was went against nature, at least in her opinion.
"Fine. Split your hoof! I can't help what I am!" Nathaniel now stormed past the horses and into the house, angry at every female version of anything on the planet.
He worked very hard at dispelling the sense of unease he felt coming from Gabriella.
I wonder what Mr. Knight has planned for me today.
Her boss had charged her with planning a fundraiser dinner a few weeks ago at the nearby community center for this Friday. She'd spent the entire day arguing with the caterers. She'd begged Mr. Knight to pick different ones than last time, but his sister-in-law owned the catering company, making that not an option after all.
They had an uphill battle this year to win the election. Mr. Knight was recently divorced after his ex-wife had an affair with the sheriff. That made the local news for weeks, and unfortunately, it remained fresh in the townspeople's memory. At least the mayor could play the part of the victim and not the transgressor. Of course, their opposition blamed Mr. Knight's lack of providing a loving home environment for his ex as the reason behind the affair.
Poor Mr. Knight Gabriella thought as she went over recent events in her mind. He really needs to find someone. Celia was all wrong for him anyway. It also doesn't help he's such a workaholic. Maybe if he just got out more. ... and got the hint that I'm not interested. I hope I'm imagining all that.
Gabriella suddenly didn't feel like going home. She didn't want to sit in that empty house. Her sister was released from the hospital today, but she told her she was planning on sleeping the rest of the day so that was out.
She ended up going home to get in her car to come to the little beach next to the lake near town. The place was deserted. That was perfect for her and her mood. She walked down the little wooded deck, ignoring the lounge chairs, and leaned on the old deck railing.
She knew there was no point in trying to reach Nathaniel now. He could still be sleeping for all she knew. Besides, if he really wanted to know, he could tell where she was. Once again she wondered what it was he "saw" when Gus had said he had seen through her eyes. The two of them had suspiciously kept silent about that, like she asked them to, but if it was something not to worry about wouldn't they have told her immediately?
Gus had mentioned that the harder he tried to block her by overworking his mind, the more he heard, felt, saw, and that he needed to clear his mind.
What if Nathaniel figured out how to block me out?
Nathaniel groaned and rolled over to look at his alarm clock. Five-thirty in the afternoon. Crap! Reggie and Desi are going to be pissed! I haven't been this tired in a long time. And...
No way. I have a... headache? What the hell? Since when do I get headaches?
Damn, my head is killing me.
He stumbled out of bed and went to go feed and care for his horses. He didn't see the point in changing clothes yet.
He quickly fed and watered the pair of them. After Reggie had eaten, he brought him out to brush him. Desi normally took a long time to eat. She would ponder each bite she took like she knew Nate was waiting for her to finish so he could do the other things that needed doing. Lately, though, Nate was content spending that extra time with Reggie.
"A vampire with a headache! This is bizarre! And it's not like I could take anything for it either." Nate chatted to his horse. Reggie stamped his hoof to get an annoying fly off of him. The sound reverberated in Nate's skull.
"Why do I have one?" Nate mused aloud. He'd meant to ask August if he could explain it, but the man was mysteriously missing.
Is this the thanks I get for being able to block her? he thought to himself, not even allowing himself to think her name. Is this the price I have to pay to get her out of my 'more powerful mind' as Gus calls it? Haha. Gus.
Ugh, don't think about her!
His mind jumped from one idea to the next as he went and got Reggie and apple and suddenly wondered if the first vampire was male or female. It made him think back to the story of Adam and Eve. Eve was the first to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil which people liked to depict as an apple. Vampires were inherently evil by nature. He hated this about himself.
"And yet, you're going to do the same thing to me." her words echoed in his head.
Nathaniel choked back an unwelcome emotion as he hugged Reggie and thought, So who am I? The serpent? How could I do that to someone I love?
Reggie seemed to understand his master's need for affection as he rubbed the side of his face against Nate's head.
My head is killing me! I was fine when I went to sleep last night, what gives? He remembered when he'd rolled over earlier this morning, hearing Gabby in his head, and he immediately blocked her out again before falling back asleep. Will the headache go away if I unblock her?
Nate took a deep breath and tried. She's at the beach by the lake, thinking about the pretty water. He felt himself relax, and the pain in his head started to ebb.
Oh, this is not good. The headache is directly related to whether or not I've blocked her out.
What am I going to do about Mr. Knight? Gabriella mused. Why can't he just take a hint? He's not done anything really obvious, it's just a vibe I'm getting. Maybe I'm wrong. Damn it, you're my effing boss and you're running for re-election. Have you lost your mind?
Maybe he has. He and Celia were married for ten years.
Gabriella sighed almost hopelessly as she stared at the water. She thought the setting sun reflected on the surface of the lake looked pretty as it made red and golden sparkles across the surface. Staring at the water distracted her from thinking of her boss and brought her thoughts back around to Nathaniel.
So, he's really mad at me. I don't blame him. I wonder if he'll come by tonight. Why am I positive he won't?
Well, I'm not going there. Not with Gus in residence.
She laughed quietly to herself. I nicknamed a two thousand year old vampire 'Gus'. Cheeky, cheeky Gabby.
Well, he did scare the crap outta me when he almost slithered over to shake my hand. I guess that was some coping mechanism going to work there.
I should've listened to my instincts and never been alone with him.
The smile dropped off of her face completely at her next thought. I will never be alone with him again. Especially not in the woods. How in hell are we going to end up in the woods? And Nathaniel arrives too late.
No, Gabby, don't think about it! she thought as panic seized her. She shook a little and rubbed her arms as she made her way back to her car, no longer enjoying being outside and alone with the sun setting.
Nathaniel was back to hearing Gabriella, but trying his best to just treat it as background noise.
"Alright, Desi. Are we going to behave today?" he asked the mare.
Her whole body language seemed to speak back to him, Well, I don't know 'master'. Are you going to brush me the wrong way again?
"You have to give me a chance to get to know you, Desi. You can't try to bite me every time I happen to brush you in a way you don't like. All you have to do is tell me." Nate couldn't understand why Desi refused to communicate in thought words like Reggie did. He knew she was refusing on purpose. Stubborn females he thought as he carefully worked over Desi's coat.
"I wonder if he'll come by tonight." Nathaniel could hear Gabby.
No, I'm not going to, you're right. You asked me to leave you alone, so I am. Good. Don't come here. We'd just end up fighting anyway. Even if Gus's presence is a moot point since he's not here.
Why does blocking her out have to give me a headache?
"Alright, Desi. I'm going to clean your hooves. You need to let me do this today since you haven't let me for a while." he said as the mare turned and looked at him defiantly. He walked up to her right front foreleg and proceeded to lean into her shoulder.
With amazing agility, Desi sidestepped and turned to where she faced Nathaniel. She made a very unfriendly noise and bared her teeth at him, thinking a resounding NO.
Nathaniel seriously considered baring his fangs right back at her. It would serve her right. However, the last thing he wanted was to terrify the horse. He knew Desi sensed there was something 'off' about him but couldn't figure out what. He knew Reggie knew this too, but Reggie didn't worry about it. Reggie would love him no matter what.
"Desi, you're being ridiculous. You need to let me do this. I'm trying to help you." he said before Desi thought over a picture of her in her mind, cleaning her hooves on a rock. "No," he answered the thought, "you'll split a hoof." he said patiently, yet with some irritation as well.
Reggie made an attempt at getting Desi to calm down. She completely ignored him.
Wrong. You're wrong. Desi now thought very clearly to him, and he knew which 'wrong' she meant. She meant what he was went against nature, at least in her opinion.
"Fine. Split your hoof! I can't help what I am!" Nathaniel now stormed past the horses and into the house, angry at every female version of anything on the planet.
He worked very hard at dispelling the sense of unease he felt coming from Gabriella.



















If blocking her out is giving him a headache, I think it's time for a truce. They are both suffering from the separation, but too stubborn to give in.
ReplyDeleteI just love his scenes with his horses.
Yeah, someone is going to have to swallow their pride and visit the other one before this just gets out of hand.
DeleteWhen I first brought the horses in, I intended them to just be part of the backdrop, but I'm loving putting in some horsie drama after all! :)
Thanks for commenting!
I too love the parts with the horses. So very simple yet...complicated. At least I hope so, or maybe its just simply complicated...either way I love those scenes!
ReplyDeleteAs for the other part of the story, well it seems that he's going to have to let her thoughts into his mind. On another note though I think that she now has grown just a bit used to having him in her thoughts? I think he needs to go to her though, even if she told him to leave her alone.
I can't believe I've started planning out what the horses are going to do as well! haha!
DeleteGabby is slowly getting used to the idea of Nate being privy to her thoughts constantly. She sees it as unavoidable now.
Nate doesn't want to go to her because what she said still stings. Did you catch the parallel between what he says to Desi and what he's thinking about Gabby? He's hurt by the rejection of both, and he's not used to being rejected at all.
Haha I sort of noticed the parallel but then I thought "Well she is a horse..." so i didn't put too much into it!
DeleteHe's catching it from all the females in his life Desi and Gabby. I'm glad that he's not blocking Gabby all the time now. Maybe he will realize that she's sorry for not considering his feelings and go to see her!
ReplyDeletePoor Nate can't catch a break with those two. He's still trying to tune her out. :-)
DeleteHmmm...not a good thing that he can block Gabby now.
ReplyDeleteLOL @Desi! She told him that he's wrong, like he came out of the closet or something.
I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what Gabby was wearing in her vision. Where the heck did Gus go?
No, not good timing at all.
DeleteI just love those horses. came out of the closet? hahahahahaha came out of the casket... no, that's bad. bad joke. :/
You can always look at the picture header to see what she's wearing. ^^ well, sorta.
HAHA Desi has a friggin' attitude! LOL I love that horse she's too much!
ReplyDeleteWell now Nate knows he can't block her out as he'd hoped; she's in there to stay unless he wants to have a headache forever. I'm glad he's back to listening but even more happy he's decided to stay away for the time being. It's what they both need I think. The words she says to him makes me not want to be around her. I agree with Nate about how selfish she's being. He's going through this also but her only thoughts are how it affects her and she's blaming him for it like he MADE this happen. So yeah they need time so she can figure her thoughts out and what she wants and he can figure out if he needs to be there for her.
I just remembered something else I wanna do with her! :)
DeleteSometimes, yeah, time apart is good. I think she's starting to miss him, actually. Nate's had a lot of heartache to deal with during his life. Gabby has reawakened all those memories by her very presence, and now he's afraid of getting attached to someone again. Yet, he can't help but admit (other than the obvious mental connection. mental.. haha) that he feels drawn to her anyway. Gabriella needs to buck up and realize that yes, she'd not the only one having to go through this. For once, she has a partner in the horror of her visions. If only she would just LET him help her.
Thanks for reading and commenting!