Warning: Adult language
reckon = a strong likelihood of yes
Gabriella could stand it no longer. She needed to apologize, and she felt like it was eating her alive. Plus, she knew he surely knew she was coming. He knew she wanted to apologize, and obviously he was going to make her eat humble pie and come to his place. Fine, then!
Nervously, she pulled up to his house and parked her car. Her last visit to his house hadn't gone so well. She knew Gus must be around here somewhere, and she wasn't positive Nate would protect her from him this time. Nathaniel was probably still mad at her.
As she walked up, she heard him talking to the horses in the stables, so she gratefully made her way over to them instead of the front door. She had the feeling Gus didn't spend much time in the stables. At least, she hoped he didn't.
"Nathaniel? Are you in there?" she asked timidly, knowing he could hear her even though she spoke quietly.
"Yeah, c'mon in." she heard him say. She couldn't tell his mood from his voice. He'd been laughing a moment before, but the laughter stopped as soon as she'd opened her mouth. Is he surprised I'm here?
At first, Nathaniel refused to turn around to face her. After all, she'd said she wanted nothing to do with him. As the day progressed, he'd gotten better at making her part of the background noise. Thus, her visit was a bit of a surprise. He knew she'd thought about coming by yesterday but immediately threw that idea out because she was worried about Gus.
"Hello, Gabriella." he said stiffly to the far wall. He led Reggie a little more to the middle of the stable to make both horse and human more comfortable by putting a little distance between them since they hadn't been introduced. This also gave him an excuse not to look at her.
Gabriella looked around. She didn't know what she expected the stables to look like, but it wasn't this. This was so... clean. Yes, it smelled like horse, but it was a pleasant smell. It wasn't overwhelming like so many horse stables could be. She looked over at the beautiful stallion Nate was leading behind him. He moved with a gentle grace and his coat had a subtle sheen to it from the gas lanterns on the walls that gave the place a quaint feel. She literally felt like she'd stepped back in time, and she felt out of place.
When Nate turned around his heart leaped into his throat, and he wished he hadn't. How on earth could he stay mad at her? She had no right to stand there looking so damn beautiful in a shirt that could easily pass for a nightgown instead. Did she wear that damn thing on purpose just to torture me?
Aggravated by what she did to him, he snapped, "So what do you want? You said you wanted nothing to do with me. Why are you here?"
Gabriella took a small step back in surprise. "What do you mean 'what am I doing here'? You mean you don't know?" she said, now nervous at the glint of anger she saw in his eyes. Surely he knew she was coming?
"I have finally learned to tune you out. I'd love to block you out completely, but unfortunately that gives me a headache of all things." He paused a moment before he said, "Have you finished your temper tantrum?"
"Well, if you must know, I'd finished my 'temper tantrum' as you call it that same night. This explains why you didn't hear me." And how dare you treat me like some toddler!
"Throwing a tantrum like that was very toddler-like." he said and expected any minute now for her to stamp her foot.
"Well, if you must know, I'd finished my 'temper tantrum' as you call it that same night. This explains why you didn't hear me." And how dare you treat me like some toddler!
"Throwing a tantrum like that was very toddler-like." he said and expected any minute now for her to stamp her foot.
"I came to apologize, but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't." she glared at him as he raised his eyebrows in an expression that said, 'Well, are you going to or not?'
When he'd had enough of her glaring silence he said, "Either do it or don't. If you're just going to stand there in a huff, then I have things I'd rather be doing." Like trying very hard not to commit to memory how you look right now so that I won't wind up torturing myself later.
She couldn't look at him while he looked at her with mildly amused impatience. So, she looked at the horse while she said, "I'm sorry I said what I said. You know as well as I I'd been having a rough few days. I incorrectly blamed you for them, and that was wrong."
"I accept your apology, and I must say that was not spoken like a toddler." he said and smiled while she slightly glared at him. Then he watched her eyes being drawn to the horse behind him.
"He's beautiful. What's his name?"
Nathaniel got Gabriella a few carrots to help break the ice between the two and introduced them. "This is Reggie." He handed her the carrots as she walked up to Reggie. "Reggie, this is Gabriella, the one I was complaining about."
"Humph." Gabby said while feeding the carrots to Reggie. "Don't listen to him, Reggie." She petted the horse's velvety nose. "Even if he does have every right to be angry. At least let me plead my case." She giggled a little when Reggie suddenly bobbed his head up and down and side-stepped towards one of the stalls that held another horse. The horse's mood felt playful.
"Traitor." Nate muttered to Reggie. "You're such a pushover for a pretty face."
Gabriella did her best to ignore Nate's compliment. Instead, she laughed.
"He was hoping to go for a run. I reckon I can just put him out and let him go on his own this time." Nate said quietly.
Nathaniel walked over and opened a back door of the stable. Reggie just stood there and stared at him blankly. Nate motioned for Reggie to exit to run around. Still, Reggie obstinately stayed next to the other horse's stall.
"Reg, I told you. If I let the two of you out at the same time, she's just going to bite you again." he lightly scolded.
Gabriella worked at hiding a smile while watching the two of them fight a battle of wills.
"Fine. I don't have time for arguing with you tonight. The door is open, leave if you want." he said. Then he said in an undertone, "Stubborn horse." He turned and faced Gabby's smile, and as he did, he remembered how he had intended on asking her out anyway that day at the store before she had the vision. Everything had changed once she'd had that vision, or... did it?
Gabriella watched as Nathaniel walked towards her, and she wondered what he was thinking. It wasn't fair he could tell what she was thinking when she couldn't do the same to him. There was an intensity to his eyes that made her nervous, but she continued with her planned conversation anyway.
"I.. um. I was wondering if ... Well, there's a fundraiser event coming up and I have no one to go with, and the last time I went alone this one coworker flat drove me crazy. So, um..."
"Why, Miss Hudson," he said with a quite unnecessary, at least Gabby thought, exaggeration of his southern accent, "are you asking me out?"
She wanted to shove him. "No. I just wondered if you'd go to the function with me." she quipped and then blushed. The blushing only furthered her annoyance.
"You're incredibly beautiful when you blush." he said quietly to her while reaching up and running his knuckles against her cheek.
She stamped her foot like a child and said, "Don't do that!"
He chuckled. It was only a matter of time. "Do what?" he asked, still grinning.
"That! That, that... complimenting stuff."
"Complimenting stuff." he stated for clarity, one eyebrow raised in a scheming sort of way.
"Yes!"
His smile sobered somewhat as he said, "I apologize. I guess I won't mention then that I love the way that top compliments your eyes."
"Nathaniel..." she warned.
"Or how I love hearing you say my name, even if it means you're scolding me."
She blushed again. "Stop it. Don't think I don't know what you're doing!"
"Of course you know what I'm doing! You asked me not to compliment you, so I'm not!" he grinned widely at her, enjoying the game.
"Fine! Don't come to the fundraiser!" she glared at him then raised her eyebrow, wondering what he'd make of that.
"I'd love to go. When is it?" he said, still grinning.
"Friday night. We... we can meet each other there. It's... black tie." she stammered now and looked at the floor.
"Let me introduce you to Desi." Nathaniel offered to ease the tension.
Gabriella loved her immediately. Desi merely loved the apple she offered.
"So, how is it you're going to a fundraiser? Aren't those expensive to go to on principle? I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just curious. Is this a cause you're passionate about?" he asked her, trying not to feel jealous of the attention she gave to the horse. He hadn't realized until this moment how he'd really, really missed her.
"I organized it. It's part of my job. So, I'm afraid I will be abandoning you periodically throughout the evening to attend to various things." she explained.
"I'm sure I'll manage okay. Maybe I'll even see someone I know so I won't get too lonely." he said as he watched her stroke the mare's face. He wondered if she'd picked up on the word lonely and the way he stressed it.
"Maybe." she said. There was a slight pause before she spoke again, "Can I ride her?"
"Umm. Maybe I should go and get Reggie. She's rather high spirited." he said carefully.
"Oh, and you think I couldn't handle her." she teased.
"Well, yes. She's incredibly stubborn. She'll often try to go her own way no matter what direction she's pointed in." he said and raised one eyebrow. "And ignore what's right in front of her."
She patted his shoulder. "I think I can take it." she said and totally missed his double meaning. She walked past him to pick out a saddle.
Turning slightly to watch her, Nate mumbled to himself, "Question is... can I?"














Aw, they made up. I'm glad, their stubborness was really starting to driveme nuts.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like they have something in common: horses. Gabby seems as good with them as he is. I loved the double meaning in that closing scene.
Maybe Gabby and Dezi will get along famously since they are both so headstrong.
Great chapter.
One of the reasons I put in the horsie drama was to keep myself from going nuts. I needed them to have a little fight, but 2 chapters/episodes/updates was about all I could take too.
DeleteGabby can hold her own on a horse, but Nate has much much more experience for obvious reasons. She's at least human, which is a step above Nate in Desi's mind.
I love working in double meanings. :)
Thanks!
I'm betting Gabby gets along well with Desi. They do have a thing in common or two heh. It looks like they have made up for the moment. I can't help but feel their relationship will always be up and down rollercoaster because of all the factors involved.
ReplyDelete@Zhippidy- Thanks!
ReplyDelete@Aeon- I'll post a pic of Gabby riding Desi in the scrapbook. It's funny but a little typical.
Mhm, they're good for now, but you're right - their relationship isn't typical and it's going to be an uphill battle.
Thanks y'all for commenting!
Aw, they are finally talking. And flirting!
ReplyDeleteHehe yeah Nate's always one to find a little fun, and as soon as he figured out what all that did to her he couldn't resist. :-)
DeleteThey are finally not fighting their attraction! I am so glad that she apologized and he accepted the apology.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Desi will accept her like Reggie appears to have.
I am just loving this story! My DH is on his computer and I have a chance to read it!
I couldn't have them hate each other forever. ;)
DeleteShe and Desi have a lot in common!
I'm so thrilled you're loving it! I've been having fun answering all your comments even though I realize you probably already know the ansers by now lol. I'm happy my dh has his own puter now and I have the good one! >:)
OMG! I love these two so much, they need to hurry up and kiss!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHe needs to just pull her into his arms and plant a great big one on her, but that's just not his way. so frustrating... Oh wait. I did that on purpose! hehe
DeleteWell that was a nice turn of moods! I love how he called her a toddler and waited for that foot to hit the ground LOL she didn't disappoint! Desi and she have quite a bit in common as we see the same of Reggie and Nathaniel. I love the comparison of the two creatures, it's cute. And Reggie! He's so sweet on Desi that's just amazing how he refuses to give up on her regardless of how much she puts up a fight. Reggie knows it's just a matter of time and is willing to wait as long as it takes.
ReplyDeleteI sense the same for the two "humans". Nate can sense that behind her cold exterior (at least she's trying to be cold and distant) that Gabby has a genuine interest in him. They are very sweet together and even in her most annoyed moods, he can always seem to make her smile!
:) Gabby's used to mostly holding men at arm's length (but yet she keeps finding herself with Nate anyway). That has kept her in a more adolescent phase as far as romantic relationships go.
DeleteI'm glad you caught the correlation between Nate/Gabby and Reggie/Desi. It's so much easier for Nate to give relationship advice to his horse than to follow the advice himself. Reggie knows Desi is just stubborn and not fond of Nate and that aggravation towards her owner carries over to his favorite pet.
Nate loves making Gabby see her interest in him, and Gabby is doomed because now it's almost a game to him. :)